Changing societal trends and evolving social desires have led to a growing populace of single individuals who prefer purchasing and residing in their own apartments rather than living with their families. Through engagement sessions with the public on housing matters, some single individuals have expressed their inclination for apartments in well-established areas, aiming to be closer to their elderly parents to facilitate mutual care and assistance.
The government has been gradually enhancing the availability of public housing options for single individuals. Presently, single individuals aged 35 and above who are first-time applicants have the opportunity to seek new 2-room Flexi apartments in non-mature estates or to purchase resale HDB flats in any location.
The HDB non-mature towns and estates are Bukit Batok, Bukit Panjang, Choa Chu Kang, Hougang, Jurong East, Jurong West, Punggol, Sembawang, Sengkang, Tengah, Woodlands and Yishun.
Under the new categorization, eligible first-time single applicants can now:
a) Apply for 2-room Flexi BTO apartments in all locations, spanning Standard, Plus, and Prime housing developments;
b) Purchase a Standard or Plus apartment of any dimension through the resale market; or
c) Acquire a 2-room Prime apartment through the resale market.
The Ministry of National Development (MND) will maintain its engagement with Singaporeans in the upcoming months, actively welcoming opinions and input regarding these modifications. The updated categorization will be put into effect for HDB BTO projects starting from the second half of 2024. Information about the specific BTO projects available will be disclosed during the sales launches conducted by the Housing and Development Board (HDB).
• Launch of the Single Singapore Citizen Scheme, enabling individuals aged 35 and above to purchase resale flats, limited to 3-room and smaller units, within specific locations.
• Extension of CPF Housing Grants to include single individuals.
• Permission granted for single individuals to purchase 3-room and smaller resale flats across all locations.
• Authorization granted for single individuals to purchase 4-room and larger resale flats across all locations.
• Single individuals gain the ability to directly purchase new 2-room Flexi BTO flats from HDB.
• Introduction of the Enhanced CPF Housing Grant (EHG) in 2019, offering single individuals a potential grant of up to $40,000.
• Enhancement of the quota for single individuals applying for new 2-room Flexi flats in non-mature estates, raised from 50% to 65%.
• Substantial increase in the CPF Housing Grant (Singles), elevating the grant value from $25,000 to a maximum of $40,000.